Saturday 1 June 2013

Run Like the Wind...or without getting Winded.

When I was a kid I was envious of all the other kids that could run around the playground for hours on end.  Twenty five steps and I was was out, severely winded and with legs that felt like jelly.

When I was in grade 5 I remember signing up to run the 1500m, only two of us attempted it.  I was proud of myself for even putting myself out there even though I had to run/walk the entire way.  In Grade 7 and 8 the 12-minute mile was a love/hate relationship.  I would run slowly at the back of the class, happy to be moving my legs steadily one in front of the other, until I was lapped by the speed demons, the kids who not only could run forever, but fast too!  Although by high school I no longer had to perform any type of running motion I was envious of those who could and did.  By the time I was in my twenties I joked that someday I would be a runner, it was the dream that I thought I would never see happen.

Once I joined Bootcamp and I had no choice but to run I decided to attempt my dream.  As the block became easier, the weather got warmer and my iPhone became the love of my life, I decided to take the big step.  I purchased the Couch to 5K app and changed my life.  The success I felt after every run, a little farther each day, a little faster each week, supplied me with the desire to continue.

Although my pace is still on the slow side, I can run for miles without getting winded, without my legs feeling like jelly, and with a sense peace.  I spent the summer improving my 5k run and successfully completed my first 5km race 6 months after I set my goal to take the step and become a runner.

Now I look forward to the me time I get on a run, the satisfaction of achieving small goals on a regular basis and the confirmation that my body can do anything I put my mind to.  I not only found something I enjoy, I developed a new habit...one I don't want to break!


No comments:

Post a Comment