Tuesday 11 June 2013

Step outside your Comfort Zone

All too often we get stuck in ruts.  We get comfortable with who we are, what we do and how we spend our time.  Without challenges or changes our lives become boring and our attitudes usually reflect our displeasure.  Sometimes we don't even realize we have issues until someone comments on your behaviours or your lack of interest.

I  have promised myself over the last few years that I won't back down from a challenge...no matter how crazy or time consuming it may be.  In order to figure out who I am and what I like I had to start doing things differently.  It sounds crazy but every few weeks I like to shake things up.  Whether the shake up is simply reading a different type of book, watching a movie I don't think I will like, or trying an activity I have never done, I have rarely been disappointed!

In the last few years I have really started experimenting with food too.  I vowed that I would never turn anything down, I don't have to like it, just try it.  The result...a whole new world for me, full of amazing tastes and healthier choices that have added to my change.  I don't know how it has happened but I now love things I used to hate...it is amazing what an open mind can do.

I have had the opportunity to travel a lot in the past few years as well and I never turn down a chance to see something new.  I have a new found desire to travel everywhere and my travel wishlist is starting to become overwhelming.  In an ideal world I would win the lottery and simply spend time in various places of the world.  Travelling, no matter how far we go, has reminded me just how amazing and enormous the world really is.  It reminds me that in the whole scheme of life I am a minor, almost insignificant piece.

Saying yes to new challenges and activities has also shown me how small the world is.  Everywhere I go, everything I do I manage to meet people who share similar interests, who know people I know.  It is absolutely amazing to be far from home and meet someone who has a connection to your personal community or interests.

My world has changed for the better.  Interesting opportunities, a healthier lifestyle and growing sense of who I am...all a result of taking that step outside my comfort zone!  What would you try today that just may change your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment