Sunday 2 June 2013

Build a Better You

In a society filled with self improvement products, beauty enhancements and fad diets, it is no wonder that most women have self confidence issues.  On a daily basis we are bombarded by advertisements detailing all the parts of our bodies we should hate...our hair, our skin, the shape of our body, our breast size, our cellulite...in fact, based on the messages, there isn't a part of our bodies we shouldn't attempt to fix!

As if this message wasn't bad enough, many times, time spent with others is a constant reminder that we are full of imperfections.  Diet discussions, comparing exercise routines and sharing beauty tips and tricks may seem innocent enough, but all to often these just serve as a reminder that we need to change.  These common topics leave us feeling like we haven't done enough, or that changing habits and behaviours are helpless.

Along my journey I have tried very hard to keep a positive attitude and to be proud of my successes.  It is very frustrating that even when I reach a goal, it never truly makes me happy, I always want more! I went from a women who wanted to lose a few pounds and feel healthier, to an exercise addict who expects change on a constant basis.  I went from reading magazines that promote weight loss for the lazy to health magazines for women who are looking to work hard to change their shape.  The most frustrating part of this for me was opening these "health magazines" with pictures of physically fit, health conscious women and seeing advertisements beside them for performance enhances, supplements and fads for the fit.  What kind of message is being sent?  

As a teacher, I really wish I could teach a self confidence class to teenagers.  A class that focuses on individual beauty, a class that teaches girls how to place an emphasis on their best qualities, a class that teaches girls it is amazing to be unique.  Imagine your life today if someone taught you how to be confident and full of self love.  Imagine if the only person you compared yourself to was the you from yesterday!


No comments:

Post a Comment