Sunday 16 June 2013

Perfecting the Art of Relaxation

I think I have found my biggest challenge in life...the Art of Relaxation.  I'm wired to go 24/7...if I'm not busy doing something, I'm busy thinking about stuff I should be doing.  Those who know me, know I don't sit still well and it is virtually impossible for me to do nothing.  

I'm not sure if my problem is genetic, environmental or learned, but I do know that my inability to focus on one task has actually improved my life in some areas.  My husband my argue that my tendency to never sit still, or let him sit still without questioning him is a problem, he would also admit that it helps us get a lot of stuff done in short periods of time.

My desk is a mess, my interests at work are wide ranging and my desire to help others keeps me on my toes.  I love to be in the know, to learn as much as I can, and to assist in any way possible.  I'm never afraid to take on a new task, to encourage others to get involved and to push past limits that I don't want to admit exist.  My inability to relax at work makes my days fly by, for the most part in an enjoyable fashion.

Never being able to sit still means that while we are cooking dinner, I'm also cleaning the house, doing the laundry and planning the month ahead.  When we actually do get to sit down to watch a couple hours of television every week or so, I spend the time researching online, being crafty or writing blogs.  I can't think of the last time I actually sat through a movie without being engaged in another task. Of all the technology in my house, I have to say my television is the thing I could live without!

My new found love of activity tends to take up a lot of my time, but I still manage to work many aspects into my activities.  I use my time at golf, bootcamp and volleyball to socialize.  I have some of the best conversations with a good friend when we are out walking.  I use my running and bike riding time to enjoy  music and to think.  Some of my best ideas, dreams and goal setting happen when I'm busy working out.  The best way to spend time with my family is being active, playing baseball, swimming, bike riding and enjoying time together.

My evening bedtime rituals are also usually multi tasked.  I spend half an hour before bed in a combination of surfing the internet, catching up on my emails and attempting to read.  I never seem to be able to find enough time in the day to get it all done.

In the last couple months I think I may have found a way to calm my mind, to focus on the now and to begin perfecting the Art of Relaxation.  My experience with meditation, and my new found enjoyment of yoga has taught me how to focus my mind, to slow down my body, and to enjoy the moment.  I'm looking forward to continuing this new practice...I just need to figure out a way to fit it all in!

The best thing I have learned about myself based on my lack of ability to sit still, is that I love to be involved. I am the happiest, the most relaxed and in touch with other people when I have the chance to be as busy as I want.  Next time you see me, running around like a chicken with my head cut off, realize I'm actually in my element and actually wouldn't want it any other way!

For me, perfecting the Art of Relaxation simply means finding a way to fit everything I love into my life...making sure I have a smile on my face while I'm doing it.  What does the Art of Relaxation look like for you?






No comments:

Post a Comment