Sunday 10 November 2013

Step 3: Listen to your Body

Even as I sit here beginning to type this, I'm embarrassed to admit that I struggle with this step!  After a wonderful run a week ago, I'm still feeling the effects of my bad decision making.  I went too far, unprepared and stubborn.  Then, to make mattes worse, instead of admitting I made a mistake, I went hard the next day to try and work out the kinks and pain I was dealing with.  

I'm always wanting more from myself.  I want to run further, last longer, try harder. I'm never fully satisfied with my accomplishments.  I have flaws!  Unfortunately it has taken a few days of cutting back, of listening to my achy body and to admitting my mistakes before I'm ready to accept the fact that listening to my body is one of the most important things I need to do.

I have big dreams, good goals and a long time to work on them.  I need to constantly remind myself that I can't accomplish any of them if I don't reward my hard work with relaxation, water and sleep!  That being said...I look forward to taking tomorrow off, to mediate, to hydrate, to spend with myself, my ice pack, a good book and the couch!  

I'm pretty sure I may need to be reminded of this step quite frequently.  Feel free to inquire about, and if necessary, to criticize my faults in this area as needed.  If you ask me how I feel and I deny or get defensive, chances are I'm guilty...I'm also smart enough to know this is the case!   Despite my apparent anger or frustration, I will secretly be thanking you for your concern and the reminder to listen to my body.  

I'm heading into the least active week I have had in a long time.  I look forward to coming back stronger and more determined then ever.  Given a chance to refresh, refocus and listen to your body...what are you going to do to make you a better version of yourself?



No comments:

Post a Comment