Tuesday 5 November 2013

Step 2: Do What You Enjoy

There is nothing better than finding time to spend on an activity that you enjoy.  Activities may vary based on your mood, the season or your current interests.  Over the years I have spent my "free time" in many different ways, reading, scrapbooking, card making, crocheting, playing board games, and surfing the internet.  In the last couple of years, if I'm handed a few hours of free time, you will most likely find me golfing, doing yoga or attempting a run.  

On Sunday, the weather was beautiful!  The sun was shining, the temperature was perfect and the afternoon was free.  From the moment I woke up, I couldn't wait to head out, just me and my tunes for an hour on the road.  I left home with the intention simply of spending an hour outside, running or walking, the day was simply about enjoying the changing trees and the music.  Approaching the turn for home I decided the day was simply too good to waste, so I headed out on a route I knew was at least another hour.  I ran, I walked, I stretched, I sang, I simply enjoyed being alone.  Eighteen kilometres later I arrived back home, a smiling, energized person.  Although the running may have taken a physical toll on my body, my mental state was amazing.  

Days later, reflecting back on my amazing Sunday afternoon is enough to make me smile and feel refreshed, despite the fact it still hurts to walk! This is proof to myself that a satisfied mental state is just as important as a fit physical body.  Given the day to do over, I'd make the same decision again.  Time spent doing what makes you feel good is never time wasted!

What would you do today if you had a couple hours to spare?

No comments:

Post a Comment