Saturday 25 May 2013

Who am I?

Who am I?  A question that I have reflected on at many points in my life.  Who we become is based on so many events, factors and influences that pinpointing the source is virtually impossible.

When I was a child, my definition of myself was based on the values shared by my family members.  Activities and events beyond my control helped to shape my interests, the way I spent my time and the social activities I participated in.  As a child, our parents try hard to get us involved, interest us in activities and to teach values they think we need to thrive.  At this point I had not yet had a chance to discover who I was.

As a teenager, my definition of myself was based on my friends.  Although my family was always there for me, as a teen, the opinions and attitudes of my friends held more weight.  Actions, involvement and decisions were made based upon what was cool, acceptable and expected.  As a teenager my activities and involvement was dictated by the peer group I associated with at the time.  At this point I was too busy trying to fit in to discover who I was.

As a young adult, my definition of myself was based on expectations of my chosen path.  Although friendship and family was still important in my life, there were big expectations to complete schooling for my given career, to settle down and to focus on the rest of my life.  I was too busy studying, working, and securing a mate that I never had a chance to discover who I was.

As a young married woman, my definition of myself was based on the expectations of a wife.  Now friendship, family, and a career were important, but so was the desire to be a good wife and to create a solid future for my family.  With the focus on doing everything right, and in the right time frame, I didn't have a chance to discover who I was.

As a young mother, my definition of myself was based on the expectations of being a provider.  Friendship, family, a career, a marriage were all still important, but the need to provide for others 24/7 was an unavoidable fact.  I was too busy "doing it all" that I never had the time to discover who I was.

After a few bouts of depression I decided something had to be done Thanks to the amazing support of my husband, my children, family and friends, I put myself on the path to figure out Who I am.  I'm hoping my journey can be an inspiration to others.



No comments:

Post a Comment