Sunday 26 May 2013

The 11 year old me.

There is nothing better than the feeling of seeing or doing something for the first time. Babies, toddlers and preschoolers see the world as something new every day.  As we get older we lose the wonder, the magic and the excitement.  I have decided to embrace my inner child, and to reflect on my current life based on my 11 year old self.

At 11, my life revolved around school, talking on the phone, hanging out with friends and attempting to be active.  I loved to sit on the swings and enjoy the silence.  I was so excited when I got to bike around the country block by myself.  Successfully spending hours on the phone with friends and not getting interrupted by business calls was a cause for joy.  Improving my skating skills and attempting to keep up to my friends and their sports was a way to pass a lot of the time. 

Age 11 for me was a wonderful time.  I had trust and freedom.  I had no major responsibilities.  I had big ideas that would change the world.  I had aspirations of greatness.  I had dreams of a perfect future.  I had creativity.  By 12, reality began to set in.

At age 11 I dreamed of a future where I could talk on the phone where ever and when ever I wanted...in my car, at the store, riding my bike in a park.  I actually don't know anyone who didn't think this was a good idea at the time.  My 11 year old self would be overjoyed to know that I not only can make and take calls anywhere, there really isn't anything my phone can't do or help me do!

At age 11 I wanted to hang out with my friends 24/7, heading home after a play date or hanging up the phone to go to bed was so disappointing.  My 11 year old self would be amazed that I can hold multiple conversations with friends on many platforms any time of the day, regardless of distance between us or time spent apart.

At age 11 I wanted to run the 1500m race at track and field, play volleyball on the school team, have a perfect skating routine and bike anywhere I wanted to.  For most of my life this didn't seem very realistic.  With a push from people I love, my 11 year old self would be proud to know I play whatever sport I want to, I can run for long distances, my golf game isn't half bad and I'm currently in the best shape of my life.

At age 11 I wanted to be a guidance counselor, be married and have 2 kids.  I'm pretty confident my 11 year old self would be proud of me for making those dreams come true.

I think I'm going to harness my inner 11 year old  and imagine some more crazy inventions, set some new goals and  dream some new dreams...although you never know what the future holds, without a destination it is kind of hard to jump on the path!





No comments:

Post a Comment